The concept of glass is generally a hard and fragile object, and is not suitable as a structural material. However, if it is drawn into a wire, its strength is greatly increased and it is soft, so that it can finally become an excellent structural material after being given a shape by a resin. The glass fiber has a smaller diameter and its strength is increased as a reinforcing material. The glass fiber has the following characteristics. These characteristics make the use of glass fiber much wider than other types of fibers, and the development speed is far ahead of its characteristics as listed below:
(1) High tensile strength and small elongation (3%).
(2) High modulus of elasticity and good rigidity.
(3) The amount of elongation in the elastic limit is large and the tensile strength is high, so the absorption impact energy is large.
(4) It is an inorganic fiber, which is incombustible and chemically resistant.
(5) The water absorption is small.
(6) Scale stability and heat resistance are good.
(7) It has good processability and can be used as a product of different forms such as strands, bundles, felts and weaving.
(8) Transparent and transparent to light.
(9) The development of a surface treatment agent excellent in adhesion to a resin is completed.
(10) The price is cheap.